Research Into Audience

My target audience for this project are people of any gender, mainly between the ages of 16 and 24. While my project is based around the North East and its history, and a large majority of my audience will also be from here, I don't necessarily believe that they have to be, as they may be watching my documentary for educational purposes.



When discussing psychographics, I believe that the best fit for the audience of my documentary would be Explorers - people filled with energy and individualism, who find importance in experiencing new things, and are typically students. They want to discover and learn, and take pride in perhaps being different to others. I think this is the best fit because I think I see myself as an Explorer, and I believe that my audience, in this case, would like to learn new things about our history and the modern day, all while enjoying the media. 



Furthermore, when applying the social grade to my target audience, I believe that, a large amount being students in full time education, they would be between grades D and E - this meaning between semiskilled workers, and casual low-grade workers. This being said, while my target audience are on the younger side so my aim is to keep them interested in my final piece, I do think that when perhaps discussing past venues which 


unfortunately no longer exist, or a certain artist, it would appeal to an audience of a broader age range as, looking at the uses and Gratification Theory, they may personally identify with.


How I Will Appeal To My Audience

I will appeal to my audience through my use of imagery and speech, using my own footage and images from past gig experiences here in the North East and talking about my own experiences, allowing the audience to hopefully personally identify with it. Moreover, upon receiving feedback from my survey, created to learn more about my audience and what they like, I have learned that 100% of the responses said they enjoy live music, so I am now certain that my documentary will appeal to my target audience. On the other hand, if there are people who don't enjoy live music but choose to watch my documentary, I aim to include a lot of information for educational purposes, so while they don't particularly like live music, there are still other things being discussed. 

I personally think that my audience will want to watch my documentary for different reasons. Firstly, for educational purposes. Already from researching things like the history of Northern venues and more, such as The Rink and Club A'Gogo, I myself have already learned a great amount on the different artists who would perform, when they closed, and more, so I think that my audience may react the same way. Following this, I think that my audience would want to watch my documentary as they may personally identify with certain aspects, attending modern gigs for example, so it gives the audience something to relate to and see themselves in the media. Furthermore, a reason my audience may want to watch my documentary may be for entertainment purposes, simply just to watch and enjoy, rather than focusing on taking in information. 

The aim of the brief is to engage young people and encourage them to think about and express their own regional identity, which I think my documentary will achieve since, as a young person myself in the age range of my target audience, I have since felt engaged and have learned a lot about the history of something I take great interest in. 


My Survey Responses




My audience profile

Upon receiving my audience feedback and analysing my received answers, I am able to confirm a specific audience profile to who my audience are. Furthermore, my audience are people from the ages 16 to 24, mainly being 17 to 20, of any gender. In terms of psychographics, my audience are known as Explorers - being mainly students, people who like to experience new things and to learn, I know this due to the questions asked and my audiences response. Referring to the Social Grade, I now know that my audience are apart of Grade E and D, due to my audience being of people who are in full time education, while working. 

  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Second Draft and Feedback